Full-Time Prepress Technician/Digital Press Operator
$25 - $30 per hour
FolgerGraphics, Inc. is a printing industry leader in the San Francisco Bay Area. We print everything from newspapers and magazines to business cards. Armed with a full prepress and mailing department. For 60 years FolgerGraphics has taken our customers from concept to finished product.
We currently have an opening in our Pre-Press Department for a motivated and talented individual to operate our digital presses (Canon), assist in file preparation, print layout and plate making. This person needs to be flexible and able to handle more than one task at once, all in different areas of expertise and in a fast moving environment. The breakdown for this job is 50% Production, 40% File Preparation and QC, 10% Graphic Design/Typesetting.
This is an onsite position.
Hourly Salary Range: $25-$30\hr
Full time second shift (12pm-8:30pm).
Benefits include 401K, medical, dental and vision plans. Report To: Prepress Manager
• Read workorder as well as all notes and instructions (customer notes, digital paperwork, etc.).
• Check document size and margins.
• Check document colors (process or spot). Fix any unused or extra colors in document. Check and extend bleed allowances as necessary.
• Verify that fonts are working properly/troubleshoot when necessary.
• Verify that graphics and images process correctly/troubleshoot when necessary. Make necessary adjustments in order for the document to RIP correctly.
• Save pages as PDF or Encapsulated PostScript for the intended workflow.
• Process files through Prinect Cockpit.
• Perform basic troubleshooting of files that error throughout the workflow.
• Work directly with CSR and customer to resolve issues/problems.
• Maintain all equipment related to department
• The willingness to get your hands dirty by making proofs, moving boxes of paper and maintaining equipment.
• Customer service experience. Specifically helping customers doing their own designs prepare their files correctly for print.
• Working knowledge of the Macintosh and Windows operating systems. Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, Enfocus Pitstop, and MS Office. Knowledge of Heidelberg Prinect and EFI Fiery software a plus.
• Working knowledge of font handling and troubleshooting. Working knowledge of digital workflow and trapping.
• Working knowledge of bindery and press specifications and mail specifications (drill allowance, margins, bleeds etc.). Working knowledge of PDF creation.
• Understanding of printing process.
• Working knowledge of Macintosh and Windows operating systems
• Familiarity of page layout, image manipulation, drawing and PDF handling software.
• Previous experience or education in Graphic Arts.
• Demonstrate good attention to detail.
• Demonstrate good judgement regarding positioning requirements.
• Demonstrate troubleshooting skills.
• Demonstrate effective communication skills.
• Strong mathematical skills.
• Be able to read a ruler and convert fractions to decimals.
• Work effectively without direct supervision.
• Ability to learn quickly.
• Ability to understand new concepts.